Jadon Sancho’s move to Manchester United grows unlikelier with each passing day.
Manchester United identify Watford’s Ismaila Sarr to reinforce the right-sided attacking options as hopes to land Jadon Sancho continue to fade. Citing a desperate need to address the forward line, the club representatives have established preliminary contact with player’s entourage.
Jadon Sancho, 20, has been Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s priority since landing the manager’s job on a permanent basis. The England international has been envisaged as a vital part of Man United’s attacking trio which could be moulded into a world-class unit capable of firing the club to major accolades.
Despite a firm interest since last summer, Manchester United have failed to push the prospective transfer over the finishing line. With Sancho keen on being a part of the Man United project, Borussia Dortmund’s £108m price-tag has proved to be a sticking point during negotiations, considering the after-effects of the coronavirus lockdown.
— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) September 17, 2020
More from Manchester United
- Why Manchester United needs Jules Kounde to partner Harry Maguire?
- Man United’s Mason Greenwood extends his Old Trafford stay until 2025
- Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford the latest victim of cyber racism
- Bruno Fernandes: One Year at Old Trafford for the Portuguese Magnifico
- Manchester United has a pre-agreement in place with Argentinian youngster
Borussia Dortmund chiefs, meanwhile, have suggested that Sancho’s move away from Germany is off as zero bids arrived before the artificial deadline of August 10. Yet, the dialogues have continued and Man United have reached consensus over the player’s personal terms and agent fees.
Solskjaer is said to be frustrated by the pace of negotiations between the involved factions and has expressed his desire of reaching a swift conclusion to his paymasters. With Sancho’s deal still in the doldrums, Man United insiders have started looking at other options.
Previously, Douglas Costa and Kingsley Coman were monitored as potential fallback options should the Sancho transfer fail to materialise. Gareth Bale found a mention too but was quickly shrugged, owing to his incessant injury issues and massive wage demands.
As talks for Jadon Sancho continue, Watford’s Ismaila Sarr, 22, has been lined up as a genuine backup plan should the Man United bosses decide to pause dialogues with their Dortmund counterparts. But, the 20-year-old continues to be the priority for the Red Devils this summer.
Manchester United are looking at Watford’s Ismaila Sarr as they investigate options beyond Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho. Intermediaries are understood to have made initial enquiries.
While Sancho remains the number-one target for the Premier League club, the pursuit of the England international has been met with a number of road blocks, and there is increasing doubt over whether it will be done. (Miguel Delaney, The Independent)
Liverpool, too, is said to be in the race to sign Ismaila Sarr this summer after manager Jurgen Klopp was left impressed by the Senegal attacker’s performance against his side last season.
Watford, having spent £30m to lure Ismaila Sarr to Vicarage Road, would expect to recoup the transfer fee they splashed the previous year with an added premium of around £5m- £10m. Man United is yet to initiate official dialogues with the Hornets.
Thus far, Donny van de Beek remains the only acquisition for Manchester United. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants at least two more signings to close the gap on Liverpool and Manchester City this summer.