Bayern Munich has been involved with some strange talks during this time. They have already announced that Alexander Nübel will be joining the club in the summer, so where does this leave the rebel, Manuel Neuer.
Around the start of the year, German giants Bayern Munich made the public service announcement they will be adding a new stopper to their ranks. It was reported Nübel from Schalke 04 will be heading to Allianz Arena.
This caused unrest with the club’s captain and first choice, Neuer. Since the talks of the new keeper coming in from the same club Bayern bought the World Cup winner from, his contract talks have been put on hold.
More from Chelsea
- “600 days” Fans make SHOCK Chelsea revelation – They really are poor
- Chelsea injury news: Most expensive midfielder is a doubt vs Aston Villa
- Chelsea: Mauricio Pochettino mandates a “ridiculous offer” to sell defender
- When should Chelsea start to panic about Mauricio Pochettino?
- Chelsea: HUGE boost as Pochettino starts “world-class” midfielder today
This is where Barcelona’s number one comes into play, Marc-André ter Stegen. He has now emerged the new transfer link to the German side, suggesting there is no longer a Neuer and Munich love affair.
"Bayern Munich ‘plan world record bid for a goalkeeper as club prepare £90 million move to sign Barcelona’s Marc-Andre ter Stegen after shelving talks with Manuel Neuer over new contract.Bayern Munich are planning to move for Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen, according to reports in Spain.The German, who will be 28 next month, has seen contract talks with Barcelona stall in recent weeks just as Bayern have shelved talks with Manuel Neuer over a new deal. (Via: Daily Mail)"
Manuel Neuer worried about not being first choice
The 34-year-old who recently celebrated his birthday would leave for one of three reasons but only one of them makes total sense.
- No agreement can be reached on what he would earn with a new deal
- It’s time for a new challenge before the gas runs dry in the tank – Which is a long time for a goalkeeper
- He doesn’t want to have to fight for his spot in his latter years and wants to be guaranteed first-choice keeper wherever he is
The option making the most sense is the final one, option number 3. The incoming Alexander is a threat to him, as the Schalke stopper rises in value and status. The links to Barca’s number 1 ter Stegen confirms the move is on perhaps.