Lucy Bronze, Vivianne Miedema, and Ellen White are all up for FIFA’s Best Woman Player of the Year award. The three footballers were standout performers at this summer’s World Cup in France.
Three FA Women’s Super League footballers have been named as the best three players in women’s football. England players, Lucy Bronze and Ellen White ended in fourth place after last month’s World Cup in France played out.
Arsenal’s striker Viviane Miedema, who won the WSL last season has been named as well. She ended as the World Cup as WC’s finalist with Holland for her efforts. Including to the list, Arsenal’s coach joins a shortlist for The Best Women’s coach, alongside the United States’ winning coach Jill Ellis and England’s Lionesses manager Phil Neville.
Besides them, Lyon’ Champions League-winning boss Reynald Pedros and the Englishman Paul Riley, who leads North Carolina Courage, and who has won the 2018 National Women Soccer League (and could take over the US Women’s National Team in October) were also noted.
More from Editorials
- Why the European Super League is a cancer to football
- Premier League: Should Tottenham sack Jose Mourinho?
- Jesse Lingard attracting summer interest as hot streak at West Ham continues
- Bruno Fernandes: One Year at Old Trafford for the Portuguese Magnifico
- Did Anthony Martial end Manchester United’s title charge?
The Best FIFA Women’s Coach nominees
- Milena Bertolini (ITA) – Italy national team
- Jill Ellis (USA) – USA national team
- Peter Gerhardsson (SWE) – Sweden national team
- Futoshi Ikeda (JPN) – Japan U-20 national team
- Antonia Is (ESP) – Spain U-17 national team
- Joe Montemurro (AUS) – Arsenal
- Phil Neville (ENG) – England national team
- Reynald Pedros (FRA) – Lyon
- Paul Riley (ENG) – North Carolina Courage
- Sarina Wiegman (NED) – Netherlands national team
Who is favourite?
Knowing how FIFA selected the last winner, I predict that Megan Rapinoe is likely to be picked as the best player this season. She led the US women’s team to be crowned as Champions twice in a row.
Secondly, Lucy Bronze deserved to be in one of these three spots as she’s had a great season for Manchester City and played well in the World Cup. I’d too, give Miedema a shout as she won the Women’s Super League and finished in second place in the World Cup.
The Best FIFA Women’s Player nominees
Lucy Bronze (ENG) – Lyon
Julie Ertz (USA) – Chicago Red Stars
Caroline Graham Hansen (NOR) – Wolfsburg/Barcelona
Ada Hegerberg (NOR) – Lyon
Amandine Henry (FRA) – Lyon
Sam Kerr (AUS) – Chicago Red Stars/Perth Glory
Rose Lavelle (USA) – Washington Spirit
Vivianne Miedema (NED) – Arsenal
Alex Morgan (USA) – Orlando Pride
Megan Rapinoe (USA) – Reign
Wendie Renard (FRA) – Lyon
Ellen White (ENG) – Birmingham City/Manchester City
On these 10-persons shortlist who are competing for the best coach of the year, the Englishwoman Jill Ellis deserves to be named as the best. Two World Cups in the curriculum, the sky is the limit for her after her achievements.
You can cast your vote here, and check out the full list of contenders below: